Being a mother is all encompassing. We know this, anyone who has had kids will tell you that it engulfs your life and for the most part you want it and welcome it to be your focus. We all want to be the best moms we can be, we love our kids and don’t think twice about sacrificing our own needs to put theirs first (although sometimes it stings, we still do it!). Here’s where the problem creeps in though…
Because we are wired to be nurturers, caregivers and protectors, etc. we can often times forget ourselves. When we enter motherhood we take on a new identity…I am now “Mommy.” When we solely start to identify as “Mommy” though, we lose the woman we were all those years before…and she was a pretty cool woman! Don’t let go of her.
Here’s five tips to keep yourself on your list of priorities:
- Schedule some “me” time. I know you’re busy, there are never enough hours in the day…but this one is critical. You are important enough to give yourself a little time each day. It may be after the kids go to bed, but take a little time for yourself where you’re not cleaning, working or thinking about the kids!
- Think about the things you used to love to do before you had kids. If you’ve let go of those things pick a few of them back up again!
- Have a girls night out! Get a babysitter or leave the kids with your partner and go out with your girlfriends! Dress it up, throw on some makeup and paint the town red! The point here is to get out of your comfort zone and have some fun. Try not to talk about the kids all night!
- Treat yourself to a little pampering. Whether you go to a spa or just take a hot bath at home, it doesn’t matter. Just pamper yourself a little bit. If you’re not a bath person then find something that works for you, get a manicure, get your hair done, get a massage, give yourself a foot massage! Something to make you feel nurtured a bit.
- Write down goals for yourself that you want to accomplish, short term and long term. These are things that are just for you. Then put a plan in place and take action. If you don’t ever think about what YOU want then time will fly by and before you know it the kids will be grown and you’ll be in the house saying “now what?”
As moms we have to-do lists coming out our ears. Make sure that YOU are on that list too!
What do you do to keep your identity as a woman? Share with us in the comments!