Balancing work and motherhood can be a tough act. It is possible, however, to strike a balance and do both with excellence.
Here are 10 tips (plus one bonus!) to help you manage your time between work and family.
- Set boundaries for yourself. When you’re at work, really be there mentally. When you’re with the kids, be present with them. This will actually alleviate a lot of stress for you.
- Write down your goals & tasks for the day and cross them off as you accomplish them. It feels great to be getting things done! One thing to note – make sure your goals and tasks are achievable so as not to discourage yourself.
- Finish one thing before starting the next. As moms we are masters at multi-tasking. It’s been proven, however, that multi-tasking is not all it was once cracked up to be. Don’t try to do too many things at once, you’ll just wind up doing a lot of things not very well. If you have a big task to accomplish break it up into smaller chunks that are manageable.
- Stay Focused! Don’t get caught up on tasks and work that have nothing to do with what you need to accomplish for the day.
- Prioritize and say no! Go over your daily goals/tasks list and prioritize it. Make sure to do the critical ones first and if you have to say no to the last couple of tasks then that’s ok.
- Track your time wasters. Take an honest look at your day and assess where time slipped through your fingers with activities that did nothing to enhance your work or family life.
- No procrastinating! If you keep rolling tasks over to the next day they need to jump up the priority list and get done! Procrastinating causes a lot of stress as you constantly having unending tasks hanging over your head.
- Outsource, delegate, get rid of it! If you can hand off something to someone else then do it. Don’t try to conquer the world in 8 hours flat.
- Create a schedule for yourself, review it at the end of the week and tweak it as necessary. A great tip I got a long time ago was to make appointments with myself. It can be something work related, it can be exercise, it can be taking the kids to the park – the point is that if it’s on the calendar, you’re more apt to keep it. You wouldn’t blow off a client, don’t blow yourself off either. The trick to making this work is being flexible, if the schedule doesn’t work for you tweak it until it does.
- Be kind to yourself - I don’t care what anyone says, work/life/family balance is tough. Some women may give you the appearance that they’ve got it all together and it’s a breeze. It’s not. There will be times when things will flow and balance is floating all around you and there will be times when it all gets thrown out of whack. That’s life. Don’t punish yourself for it, just jump back on the wagon and say “tomorrow will be a better day.”
BONUS: Take a break! Seriously, give yourself little five minute breaks throughout the day. You’ll relax and be more efficient when you get back to work. Have a cup of tea, take a walk around the block, whatever works for you. You deserve it!
How do you find balance between work and family? Share your tips with us in the comments!